Age effects on orthodontic treatment

Skeletodental assessments from the Johnston analysis

Edward Harris, Gregory S. Dyer, James L. Vaden

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

23 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

We have compared differences in treatment outcomes dependent on patient age, either adolescent (x̄ = 12.5 years at start) or adult (x̄ = 27.6). Subjects were female patients whose Class II, Division 1 malocclusions were treated with Tweed edgewise mechanics and four-premolar extractions. Cephalometric records were assessed according to the Johnston analysis. The functional occlusal plane remained stable during mechanotherapy in the adolescents, whereas it steepened considerably in the adults. Differential mandibular growth in adolescents contributed 70% of the total molar correction, with orthodontic tooth movement accounting for the other 30%. Maxillary growth in the adults detracted from the Class II molar correction; tooth movement accounted for virtually all of the correction.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)531-536
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
Volume100
Issue number6
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1991
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Orthodontics
Tooth Movement Techniques
Angle Class II Malocclusion
Cephalometry
Dental Occlusion
Bicuspid
Growth
Mechanics
Therapeutics

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Orthodontics

Cite this

Age effects on orthodontic treatment : Skeletodental assessments from the Johnston analysis. / Harris, Edward; Dyer, Gregory S.; Vaden, James L.

In: American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Vol. 100, No. 6, 01.01.1991, p. 531-536.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{9c7fdd104484423caa84808042c9785b,
title = "Age effects on orthodontic treatment: Skeletodental assessments from the Johnston analysis",
abstract = "We have compared differences in treatment outcomes dependent on patient age, either adolescent (x̄ = 12.5 years at start) or adult (x̄ = 27.6). Subjects were female patients whose Class II, Division 1 malocclusions were treated with Tweed edgewise mechanics and four-premolar extractions. Cephalometric records were assessed according to the Johnston analysis. The functional occlusal plane remained stable during mechanotherapy in the adolescents, whereas it steepened considerably in the adults. Differential mandibular growth in adolescents contributed 70{\%} of the total molar correction, with orthodontic tooth movement accounting for the other 30{\%}. Maxillary growth in the adults detracted from the Class II molar correction; tooth movement accounted for virtually all of the correction.",
author = "Edward Harris and Dyer, {Gregory S.} and Vaden, {James L.}",
year = "1991",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/0889-5406(91)70093-C",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "100",
pages = "531--536",
journal = "American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics",
issn = "0889-5406",
publisher = "Mosby Inc.",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Age effects on orthodontic treatment

T2 - Skeletodental assessments from the Johnston analysis

AU - Harris, Edward

AU - Dyer, Gregory S.

AU - Vaden, James L.

PY - 1991/1/1

Y1 - 1991/1/1

N2 - We have compared differences in treatment outcomes dependent on patient age, either adolescent (x̄ = 12.5 years at start) or adult (x̄ = 27.6). Subjects were female patients whose Class II, Division 1 malocclusions were treated with Tweed edgewise mechanics and four-premolar extractions. Cephalometric records were assessed according to the Johnston analysis. The functional occlusal plane remained stable during mechanotherapy in the adolescents, whereas it steepened considerably in the adults. Differential mandibular growth in adolescents contributed 70% of the total molar correction, with orthodontic tooth movement accounting for the other 30%. Maxillary growth in the adults detracted from the Class II molar correction; tooth movement accounted for virtually all of the correction.

AB - We have compared differences in treatment outcomes dependent on patient age, either adolescent (x̄ = 12.5 years at start) or adult (x̄ = 27.6). Subjects were female patients whose Class II, Division 1 malocclusions were treated with Tweed edgewise mechanics and four-premolar extractions. Cephalometric records were assessed according to the Johnston analysis. The functional occlusal plane remained stable during mechanotherapy in the adolescents, whereas it steepened considerably in the adults. Differential mandibular growth in adolescents contributed 70% of the total molar correction, with orthodontic tooth movement accounting for the other 30%. Maxillary growth in the adults detracted from the Class II molar correction; tooth movement accounted for virtually all of the correction.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0026279818&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0026279818&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0889-5406(91)70093-C

DO - 10.1016/0889-5406(91)70093-C

M3 - Article

VL - 100

SP - 531

EP - 536

JO - American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics

JF - American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics

SN - 0889-5406

IS - 6

ER -