Parvalbumin-immunopositive neurons in rat globus pallidus

a light and electron microscopic study

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

101 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

To add to our understanding of the anatomical organization of the globus pallidus (GP) of the rat, a light and electron microscopic analysis of parvalbumin (PV, a Ca-binding protein) immunoreactive neurons in the GP was performed. Light microscopic analysis revealed that the GP contains PV-positive and PV-negative neurons. Approximately two-thirds of the GP neurons were PV-positive. The somata of PV-positive neurons were, on average, larger than PV-negative ones. The proximal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were smooth and often lay parallel to the border between the GP and the neostriatum. Distal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were varicose. Thin PV-positive fibers with large boutons (with average diameter of 1.7 μm) were observed in the neuropil of the GP. Some PV-positive boutons formed basket-like aggregates surrounding the somata of PV-positive or negative neurons. Electron microscopic observations revealed that PV-positive neurons were often large and contained deeply indented nuclei and a large volume of cytoplasm. PV-negative neurons had smaller somata that were occupied by deeply indented nuclei and a small volume of cytoplasm. Both PV-positive and negative neurons were contacted by synaptic boutons identical to the known striato-pallidal, subthalamo-pallidal, and local collateral boutons. The PV-positive boutons contained small round or elongated vesicles and often more than one mitochondrion. Most of the boutons (i.e. 86%) formed symmetric synapses with somata and large dendrites and, the other (14%) formed asymmetric synapses with small dendrites. The study indicated that GP projection neurons can be divided into two subgroups according to their PV-immunoreactivity. PV-positive and negative neurons received similar extrinsic synaptic inputs and both types of neurons were connected through their local collateral axons. It is conceivable that the physiology of PV-positive and negative neurons might be different because of a difference in the Ca-buffering mechanisms in these neurons.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)31-41
Number of pages11
JournalBrain Research
Volume657
Issue number1-2
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 19 1994

Fingerprint

Parvalbumins
Globus Pallidus
Electrons
Neurons
Light
Carisoprodol
Dendrites
Synapses
Cytoplasm
Neostriatum
Neuropil
Presynaptic Terminals

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Neuroscience(all)
  • Molecular Biology
  • Developmental Biology
  • Clinical Neurology

Cite this

Parvalbumin-immunopositive neurons in rat globus pallidus : a light and electron microscopic study. / Kita, Hitoshi.

In: Brain Research, Vol. 657, No. 1-2, 19.09.1994, p. 31-41.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{79ad06c50555403191f922fa43a4d71c,
title = "Parvalbumin-immunopositive neurons in rat globus pallidus: a light and electron microscopic study",
abstract = "To add to our understanding of the anatomical organization of the globus pallidus (GP) of the rat, a light and electron microscopic analysis of parvalbumin (PV, a Ca-binding protein) immunoreactive neurons in the GP was performed. Light microscopic analysis revealed that the GP contains PV-positive and PV-negative neurons. Approximately two-thirds of the GP neurons were PV-positive. The somata of PV-positive neurons were, on average, larger than PV-negative ones. The proximal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were smooth and often lay parallel to the border between the GP and the neostriatum. Distal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were varicose. Thin PV-positive fibers with large boutons (with average diameter of 1.7 μm) were observed in the neuropil of the GP. Some PV-positive boutons formed basket-like aggregates surrounding the somata of PV-positive or negative neurons. Electron microscopic observations revealed that PV-positive neurons were often large and contained deeply indented nuclei and a large volume of cytoplasm. PV-negative neurons had smaller somata that were occupied by deeply indented nuclei and a small volume of cytoplasm. Both PV-positive and negative neurons were contacted by synaptic boutons identical to the known striato-pallidal, subthalamo-pallidal, and local collateral boutons. The PV-positive boutons contained small round or elongated vesicles and often more than one mitochondrion. Most of the boutons (i.e. 86{\%}) formed symmetric synapses with somata and large dendrites and, the other (14{\%}) formed asymmetric synapses with small dendrites. The study indicated that GP projection neurons can be divided into two subgroups according to their PV-immunoreactivity. PV-positive and negative neurons received similar extrinsic synaptic inputs and both types of neurons were connected through their local collateral axons. It is conceivable that the physiology of PV-positive and negative neurons might be different because of a difference in the Ca-buffering mechanisms in these neurons.",
author = "Hitoshi Kita",
year = "1994",
month = "9",
day = "19",
doi = "10.1016/0006-8993(94)90950-4",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "657",
pages = "31--41",
journal = "Brain Research",
issn = "0006-8993",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "1-2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Parvalbumin-immunopositive neurons in rat globus pallidus

T2 - a light and electron microscopic study

AU - Kita, Hitoshi

PY - 1994/9/19

Y1 - 1994/9/19

N2 - To add to our understanding of the anatomical organization of the globus pallidus (GP) of the rat, a light and electron microscopic analysis of parvalbumin (PV, a Ca-binding protein) immunoreactive neurons in the GP was performed. Light microscopic analysis revealed that the GP contains PV-positive and PV-negative neurons. Approximately two-thirds of the GP neurons were PV-positive. The somata of PV-positive neurons were, on average, larger than PV-negative ones. The proximal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were smooth and often lay parallel to the border between the GP and the neostriatum. Distal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were varicose. Thin PV-positive fibers with large boutons (with average diameter of 1.7 μm) were observed in the neuropil of the GP. Some PV-positive boutons formed basket-like aggregates surrounding the somata of PV-positive or negative neurons. Electron microscopic observations revealed that PV-positive neurons were often large and contained deeply indented nuclei and a large volume of cytoplasm. PV-negative neurons had smaller somata that were occupied by deeply indented nuclei and a small volume of cytoplasm. Both PV-positive and negative neurons were contacted by synaptic boutons identical to the known striato-pallidal, subthalamo-pallidal, and local collateral boutons. The PV-positive boutons contained small round or elongated vesicles and often more than one mitochondrion. Most of the boutons (i.e. 86%) formed symmetric synapses with somata and large dendrites and, the other (14%) formed asymmetric synapses with small dendrites. The study indicated that GP projection neurons can be divided into two subgroups according to their PV-immunoreactivity. PV-positive and negative neurons received similar extrinsic synaptic inputs and both types of neurons were connected through their local collateral axons. It is conceivable that the physiology of PV-positive and negative neurons might be different because of a difference in the Ca-buffering mechanisms in these neurons.

AB - To add to our understanding of the anatomical organization of the globus pallidus (GP) of the rat, a light and electron microscopic analysis of parvalbumin (PV, a Ca-binding protein) immunoreactive neurons in the GP was performed. Light microscopic analysis revealed that the GP contains PV-positive and PV-negative neurons. Approximately two-thirds of the GP neurons were PV-positive. The somata of PV-positive neurons were, on average, larger than PV-negative ones. The proximal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were smooth and often lay parallel to the border between the GP and the neostriatum. Distal dendrites of PV-positive neurons were varicose. Thin PV-positive fibers with large boutons (with average diameter of 1.7 μm) were observed in the neuropil of the GP. Some PV-positive boutons formed basket-like aggregates surrounding the somata of PV-positive or negative neurons. Electron microscopic observations revealed that PV-positive neurons were often large and contained deeply indented nuclei and a large volume of cytoplasm. PV-negative neurons had smaller somata that were occupied by deeply indented nuclei and a small volume of cytoplasm. Both PV-positive and negative neurons were contacted by synaptic boutons identical to the known striato-pallidal, subthalamo-pallidal, and local collateral boutons. The PV-positive boutons contained small round or elongated vesicles and often more than one mitochondrion. Most of the boutons (i.e. 86%) formed symmetric synapses with somata and large dendrites and, the other (14%) formed asymmetric synapses with small dendrites. The study indicated that GP projection neurons can be divided into two subgroups according to their PV-immunoreactivity. PV-positive and negative neurons received similar extrinsic synaptic inputs and both types of neurons were connected through their local collateral axons. It is conceivable that the physiology of PV-positive and negative neurons might be different because of a difference in the Ca-buffering mechanisms in these neurons.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0028047990&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0028047990&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/0006-8993(94)90950-4

DO - 10.1016/0006-8993(94)90950-4

M3 - Article

VL - 657

SP - 31

EP - 41

JO - Brain Research

JF - Brain Research

SN - 0006-8993

IS - 1-2

ER -