Peyronie's disease compromises the durability and component-malfunction rates in patients implanted with an inflatable penile prosthesis

Christopher J. Diblasio, Jordan M. Kurta, Sisir Botta, John B. Malcolm, Jim Wan, Ithaar H. Derweesh, Michael A. Aleman, Robert Wake

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

22 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

OBJECTIVE To compare the durability and complication rates of surgery to implant an inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP) between patients with and without Peyronie's disease (PD). PATIENTS AND METHODS We retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing IPP surgery at one centre (Memphis) between July 1997 and May 2007. Variables included age at surgery, race, body mass index, presence of PD, brandtype of IPP (two vs three pieces), presence of diabetes mellitus (DM), active tobacco use, and complications. The result were assessed using t-tests, chi-square and regression analysis, with P < 0.05 considered to indicate significant differences. RESULTS In all, 79 men were analysed (mean age 59.8 years, range 38.1-81.5). Nine (11%) patients had PD and had a IPP implanted, with penile modelling. Overall, 43 (54%) patients had pre-existing DM and 51 (65%) actively used tobacco. At a mean (range) follow-up of 19.6 (0.1-115.3) months, six (8%) patients had component malfunctions. Of these, three had DM and four actively smoked. Of the nine patients with PD, three developed component malfunctions, vs three (4%) who did not have PD (P = 0.002). Both groups had similar infection rates (P = 0.98). The mean (range) time to component malfunction was 4.3 (0.1-9.6) months, which was longer (but not significantly) in the PD group, with a mean (median, range) of 10.9 (6.3, 1.1-9.6) months, than the 3.0 (1.0, 0.2-7.9) months in the group without PD (P = 0.4). Groups were matched for rates of DM (P = 0.1) and tobacco use (P = 0.2). PD was a significant predictor of component malfunction on both univariate (P = 0.001) and multivariate analysis (P = 0.002) when adjusting for age (P = 0.2), body mass index (P = 0.7), DM (P = 0.3) and tobacco use (P = 0.8). CONCLUSION Patients with PD implanted with a IPP, with penile modelling, had significantly higher component malfunction rates. Further, PD independently predicted component malfunction. These findings might be related to stress on the device at the time of surgery, during use, or both. Further study into this relationship is required.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)691-694
Number of pages4
JournalBJU International
Volume106
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - Sep 1 2010

Fingerprint

Penile Prosthesis
Penile Induration
Diabetes Mellitus
Tobacco Use
Body Mass Index
Chi-Square Distribution
Tobacco
Research Design
Multivariate Analysis
Regression Analysis

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Urology

Cite this

Peyronie's disease compromises the durability and component-malfunction rates in patients implanted with an inflatable penile prosthesis. / Diblasio, Christopher J.; Kurta, Jordan M.; Botta, Sisir; Malcolm, John B.; Wan, Jim; Derweesh, Ithaar H.; Aleman, Michael A.; Wake, Robert.

In: BJU International, Vol. 106, No. 5, 01.09.2010, p. 691-694.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Diblasio, Christopher J. ; Kurta, Jordan M. ; Botta, Sisir ; Malcolm, John B. ; Wan, Jim ; Derweesh, Ithaar H. ; Aleman, Michael A. ; Wake, Robert. / Peyronie's disease compromises the durability and component-malfunction rates in patients implanted with an inflatable penile prosthesis. In: BJU International. 2010 ; Vol. 106, No. 5. pp. 691-694.
@article{c06351e309384e629e1ab17f74ecfb54,
title = "Peyronie's disease compromises the durability and component-malfunction rates in patients implanted with an inflatable penile prosthesis",
abstract = "OBJECTIVE To compare the durability and complication rates of surgery to implant an inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP) between patients with and without Peyronie's disease (PD). PATIENTS AND METHODS We retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing IPP surgery at one centre (Memphis) between July 1997 and May 2007. Variables included age at surgery, race, body mass index, presence of PD, brandtype of IPP (two vs three pieces), presence of diabetes mellitus (DM), active tobacco use, and complications. The result were assessed using t-tests, chi-square and regression analysis, with P < 0.05 considered to indicate significant differences. RESULTS In all, 79 men were analysed (mean age 59.8 years, range 38.1-81.5). Nine (11{\%}) patients had PD and had a IPP implanted, with penile modelling. Overall, 43 (54{\%}) patients had pre-existing DM and 51 (65{\%}) actively used tobacco. At a mean (range) follow-up of 19.6 (0.1-115.3) months, six (8{\%}) patients had component malfunctions. Of these, three had DM and four actively smoked. Of the nine patients with PD, three developed component malfunctions, vs three (4{\%}) who did not have PD (P = 0.002). Both groups had similar infection rates (P = 0.98). The mean (range) time to component malfunction was 4.3 (0.1-9.6) months, which was longer (but not significantly) in the PD group, with a mean (median, range) of 10.9 (6.3, 1.1-9.6) months, than the 3.0 (1.0, 0.2-7.9) months in the group without PD (P = 0.4). Groups were matched for rates of DM (P = 0.1) and tobacco use (P = 0.2). PD was a significant predictor of component malfunction on both univariate (P = 0.001) and multivariate analysis (P = 0.002) when adjusting for age (P = 0.2), body mass index (P = 0.7), DM (P = 0.3) and tobacco use (P = 0.8). CONCLUSION Patients with PD implanted with a IPP, with penile modelling, had significantly higher component malfunction rates. Further, PD independently predicted component malfunction. These findings might be related to stress on the device at the time of surgery, during use, or both. Further study into this relationship is required.",
author = "Diblasio, {Christopher J.} and Kurta, {Jordan M.} and Sisir Botta and Malcolm, {John B.} and Jim Wan and Derweesh, {Ithaar H.} and Aleman, {Michael A.} and Robert Wake",
year = "2010",
month = "9",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.09194.x",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "106",
pages = "691--694",
journal = "BJU International",
issn = "1464-4096",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "5",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Peyronie's disease compromises the durability and component-malfunction rates in patients implanted with an inflatable penile prosthesis

AU - Diblasio, Christopher J.

AU - Kurta, Jordan M.

AU - Botta, Sisir

AU - Malcolm, John B.

AU - Wan, Jim

AU - Derweesh, Ithaar H.

AU - Aleman, Michael A.

AU - Wake, Robert

PY - 2010/9/1

Y1 - 2010/9/1

N2 - OBJECTIVE To compare the durability and complication rates of surgery to implant an inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP) between patients with and without Peyronie's disease (PD). PATIENTS AND METHODS We retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing IPP surgery at one centre (Memphis) between July 1997 and May 2007. Variables included age at surgery, race, body mass index, presence of PD, brandtype of IPP (two vs three pieces), presence of diabetes mellitus (DM), active tobacco use, and complications. The result were assessed using t-tests, chi-square and regression analysis, with P < 0.05 considered to indicate significant differences. RESULTS In all, 79 men were analysed (mean age 59.8 years, range 38.1-81.5). Nine (11%) patients had PD and had a IPP implanted, with penile modelling. Overall, 43 (54%) patients had pre-existing DM and 51 (65%) actively used tobacco. At a mean (range) follow-up of 19.6 (0.1-115.3) months, six (8%) patients had component malfunctions. Of these, three had DM and four actively smoked. Of the nine patients with PD, three developed component malfunctions, vs three (4%) who did not have PD (P = 0.002). Both groups had similar infection rates (P = 0.98). The mean (range) time to component malfunction was 4.3 (0.1-9.6) months, which was longer (but not significantly) in the PD group, with a mean (median, range) of 10.9 (6.3, 1.1-9.6) months, than the 3.0 (1.0, 0.2-7.9) months in the group without PD (P = 0.4). Groups were matched for rates of DM (P = 0.1) and tobacco use (P = 0.2). PD was a significant predictor of component malfunction on both univariate (P = 0.001) and multivariate analysis (P = 0.002) when adjusting for age (P = 0.2), body mass index (P = 0.7), DM (P = 0.3) and tobacco use (P = 0.8). CONCLUSION Patients with PD implanted with a IPP, with penile modelling, had significantly higher component malfunction rates. Further, PD independently predicted component malfunction. These findings might be related to stress on the device at the time of surgery, during use, or both. Further study into this relationship is required.

AB - OBJECTIVE To compare the durability and complication rates of surgery to implant an inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP) between patients with and without Peyronie's disease (PD). PATIENTS AND METHODS We retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing IPP surgery at one centre (Memphis) between July 1997 and May 2007. Variables included age at surgery, race, body mass index, presence of PD, brandtype of IPP (two vs three pieces), presence of diabetes mellitus (DM), active tobacco use, and complications. The result were assessed using t-tests, chi-square and regression analysis, with P < 0.05 considered to indicate significant differences. RESULTS In all, 79 men were analysed (mean age 59.8 years, range 38.1-81.5). Nine (11%) patients had PD and had a IPP implanted, with penile modelling. Overall, 43 (54%) patients had pre-existing DM and 51 (65%) actively used tobacco. At a mean (range) follow-up of 19.6 (0.1-115.3) months, six (8%) patients had component malfunctions. Of these, three had DM and four actively smoked. Of the nine patients with PD, three developed component malfunctions, vs three (4%) who did not have PD (P = 0.002). Both groups had similar infection rates (P = 0.98). The mean (range) time to component malfunction was 4.3 (0.1-9.6) months, which was longer (but not significantly) in the PD group, with a mean (median, range) of 10.9 (6.3, 1.1-9.6) months, than the 3.0 (1.0, 0.2-7.9) months in the group without PD (P = 0.4). Groups were matched for rates of DM (P = 0.1) and tobacco use (P = 0.2). PD was a significant predictor of component malfunction on both univariate (P = 0.001) and multivariate analysis (P = 0.002) when adjusting for age (P = 0.2), body mass index (P = 0.7), DM (P = 0.3) and tobacco use (P = 0.8). CONCLUSION Patients with PD implanted with a IPP, with penile modelling, had significantly higher component malfunction rates. Further, PD independently predicted component malfunction. These findings might be related to stress on the device at the time of surgery, during use, or both. Further study into this relationship is required.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=77955914905&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=77955914905&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.09194.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.09194.x

M3 - Article

VL - 106

SP - 691

EP - 694

JO - BJU International

JF - BJU International

SN - 1464-4096

IS - 5

ER -