Training and retaining community pharmacy leaders

Career pathways after completing a PGY1 community pharmacy residency affiliated with a large supermarket chain

Kenneth Hohmeier, Nancy Hart, Maureen Cooper, James Kirby, Cindy Fisher

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective To determine pharmacist career paths and resident perceptions after completion of a PGY1 community pharmacy residency with a national supermarket pharmacy chain. Methods Cross-sectional nationwide survey. Results Overall, 65% (n = 24) of residents who responded accepted a position with Kroger immediately after graduation. When asked about the degree of value the residency had on obtaining the resident's ideal position, 29 (76%) reported that it was “very valuable” and the remaining 9 (24%) reported that it was “somewhat valuable.” Positions that these pharmacists held immediately after residency completion were: clinical pharmacist (clinical coordinators, patient care specialists, or patient care managers; 54%), staff pharmacist (21%), split/mixed (mixed clinical and staffing components; 21%), and pharmacy manager (4%). Conclusion Residency trained pharmacists were retained by the pharmacy chain where they practiced, and the majority of those pharmacists held split or full-time clinical pharmacist roles within the chain supermarket pharmacy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)82-85
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of the American Pharmacists Association
Volume57
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2017

Fingerprint

Pharmacy Residencies
Pharmacies
Pharmacists
Managers
Internship and Residency
Patient Care
Cross-Sectional Studies

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Pharmacology (nursing)
  • Pharmacy
  • Pharmacology

Cite this

@article{7694f96787ed4e9abba322b4dfeb9242,
title = "Training and retaining community pharmacy leaders: Career pathways after completing a PGY1 community pharmacy residency affiliated with a large supermarket chain",
abstract = "Objective To determine pharmacist career paths and resident perceptions after completion of a PGY1 community pharmacy residency with a national supermarket pharmacy chain. Methods Cross-sectional nationwide survey. Results Overall, 65{\%} (n = 24) of residents who responded accepted a position with Kroger immediately after graduation. When asked about the degree of value the residency had on obtaining the resident's ideal position, 29 (76{\%}) reported that it was “very valuable” and the remaining 9 (24{\%}) reported that it was “somewhat valuable.” Positions that these pharmacists held immediately after residency completion were: clinical pharmacist (clinical coordinators, patient care specialists, or patient care managers; 54{\%}), staff pharmacist (21{\%}), split/mixed (mixed clinical and staffing components; 21{\%}), and pharmacy manager (4{\%}). Conclusion Residency trained pharmacists were retained by the pharmacy chain where they practiced, and the majority of those pharmacists held split or full-time clinical pharmacist roles within the chain supermarket pharmacy.",
author = "Kenneth Hohmeier and Nancy Hart and Maureen Cooper and James Kirby and Cindy Fisher",
year = "2017",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.japh.2016.08.013",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "57",
pages = "82--85",
journal = "Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : JAPhA",
issn = "1544-3191",
publisher = "American Pharmacists Association",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Training and retaining community pharmacy leaders

T2 - Career pathways after completing a PGY1 community pharmacy residency affiliated with a large supermarket chain

AU - Hohmeier, Kenneth

AU - Hart, Nancy

AU - Cooper, Maureen

AU - Kirby, James

AU - Fisher, Cindy

PY - 2017/1/1

Y1 - 2017/1/1

N2 - Objective To determine pharmacist career paths and resident perceptions after completion of a PGY1 community pharmacy residency with a national supermarket pharmacy chain. Methods Cross-sectional nationwide survey. Results Overall, 65% (n = 24) of residents who responded accepted a position with Kroger immediately after graduation. When asked about the degree of value the residency had on obtaining the resident's ideal position, 29 (76%) reported that it was “very valuable” and the remaining 9 (24%) reported that it was “somewhat valuable.” Positions that these pharmacists held immediately after residency completion were: clinical pharmacist (clinical coordinators, patient care specialists, or patient care managers; 54%), staff pharmacist (21%), split/mixed (mixed clinical and staffing components; 21%), and pharmacy manager (4%). Conclusion Residency trained pharmacists were retained by the pharmacy chain where they practiced, and the majority of those pharmacists held split or full-time clinical pharmacist roles within the chain supermarket pharmacy.

AB - Objective To determine pharmacist career paths and resident perceptions after completion of a PGY1 community pharmacy residency with a national supermarket pharmacy chain. Methods Cross-sectional nationwide survey. Results Overall, 65% (n = 24) of residents who responded accepted a position with Kroger immediately after graduation. When asked about the degree of value the residency had on obtaining the resident's ideal position, 29 (76%) reported that it was “very valuable” and the remaining 9 (24%) reported that it was “somewhat valuable.” Positions that these pharmacists held immediately after residency completion were: clinical pharmacist (clinical coordinators, patient care specialists, or patient care managers; 54%), staff pharmacist (21%), split/mixed (mixed clinical and staffing components; 21%), and pharmacy manager (4%). Conclusion Residency trained pharmacists were retained by the pharmacy chain where they practiced, and the majority of those pharmacists held split or full-time clinical pharmacist roles within the chain supermarket pharmacy.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85007591220&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85007591220&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.japh.2016.08.013

DO - 10.1016/j.japh.2016.08.013

M3 - Article

VL - 57

SP - 82

EP - 85

JO - Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : JAPhA

JF - Journal of the American Pharmacists Association : JAPhA

SN - 1544-3191

IS - 1

ER -